the story of us
How to make chicken curry with coconut milk?
- First, fry some carrots and potatoes until the edges are lightly browned. Remove them from the pan to add back later.
- Cook chicken in a mix of spices; oil, garlic, onions, ground pepper, curry powder, and paprika.
- Next, simmer in coconut milk to cook the chicken through.
- Add the vegetables and a little chili and simmer again until the meat becomes tender and to reduce the liquids to a thick sauce.
The result is an amazingly spicy, flavorful and creamy coconut chicken curry.
My mama normally just use chicken for this coconut curry recipe. I tried it with various meat like pork, beef, and turkey (breast) and they all turned out really good.
Which part of chicken to use to make chicken curry?
I find the bonier parts, like the thigh, drumsticks, wings of chicken are more flavorful and perfect for making this chicken curry dish.
However, you can also use meatier parts like the breasts. Just be sure to cut them in smaller pieces so the flavor from the spices can seep into the meat.
Other Chicken Recipes to try
Chicken Curry with coconut milk
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium potato - cut into wedges
- 1 medium carrot - cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 small onion - chopped
- 2 pounds chicken
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (400mL) coconut milk (2 tablespoon powder dissolved in water)
- 1 medium green bell pepper - cut into squares
- 1 piece fresh chili pepper cut into 4-5 pieces (or dried chili flakes)
- Fry potato and carrots in oil until cooked and edges are lightly browned. Once done, remove from oil and then set aside.
- Saute garlic and onion in the remaining oil over medium heat. Add chicken meat and sear each both sides for a minute.
- Add the fish sauce, curry powder, paprika powder, and ground pepper. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low then add coconut milk, and let it simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is fully cooked. I like it really thick so I cook it a little longer.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and bell pepper and chili and cook for another minute.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve with rice or your favorite side.