Chicken ala King is definitely one of those classic chicken recipes you should have in your repertoire. Especially when you do not have much time in your hand because it is really quick and easy to make. It is also very versatile. You can have it as a main dish paired with pasta, bread or rice. It could also be an appetizer or starter by serving it on baked Phyllo shells or tortilla cups.
I invited some of my Filipino girlfriends last week for a moving sale. Yes, we are moving again, but this is different. (I will tell more about it next time!). And of course, any Filipino should know that you cannot invite other Filipinos to your house without feeding them. It is part of the culture and it is one of the things I love being a Filipino. But I haven’t made up my mind yet which part I like best, cooking and serving or being served and fed.
So this is one of the dishes I served and the other one is Pork Adobo, of course, served with rice. I also made Pancit Guisado as per request. I chose Adobo because it can be cooked the night before plus you cannot go wrong serving Adobo. I thought to have a good mix in my menu, having a pork dish, a chicken dish, and veggies and shrimp in the Pancit made it complete. I chose Chicken a la King for the chicken dish, to have a bright dish in contrast to the dark Adobo.
And since I have the very little time to do all the cleaning up, sorting the things we are selling and preparing the food (Armin was at work), it was indeed a good decision as it only took me around 30 minutes to prepare it.
Chicken ala King
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole champignon mushrooms
- 1 big carrot - cubed
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 red bell pepper (or half red, half green)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 chicken broth cube
- 1 pound chicken breast fillet - cut into cubes
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until limp and aromatic.
- Add mushrooms, carrots, bell pepper and peas. Cook until lightly browned.
- Add flour and stir to let it mix with the butter. Let it cook for a minute. Add milk, water, and chicken broth cube. Add the chicken once it starts to simmer. Season with salt and pepper and let it cook for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken and vegetables are all cooked.
- Serve with rice, pasta or bread.