Get this real simple Teriyaki Chicken recipe. It can never get easier than this!
You will love this easy Teriyaki Chicken recipe, I’m sure. Crispy chicken skin and tender juicy meat.
The original teriyaki recipes use mirin in making the Teriyaki sauce. It is Japanese rice wine that is widely used in Japanese cuisine. But if you do not have Mirin at home then this is your Teriyaki recipe!
I was not able to get boneless chicken thighs so I had to debone them myself. But it was not all difficult. However, if you are not up to the task, you may also use chicken breast with skin. Honestly, I prefer the thighs though as they pack more flavor than the breast part. They are also juicier so they are perfect for frying.
You can serve it with rice toppings and with some green vegetables like steamed broccoli or pak choi. But I like the freshness of the onion greens and the added crisp from it to the already crispy chicken skin is just refreshingly and satisfyingly good with every bite.
- 1 pound boneless chicken thigh with skin - or chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry sherry - or rice wine vinegar or marsala wine
- 2-3 tablespoons oil - - for frying
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds - - for garnishing
- 1 stalk onion greens - - sliced thinly
- TERIYAKI SAUCE
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or rice wine vinegar or marsala wine
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- Combine chicken, salt, sugar, and sherry in a bowl and mix well. Cover and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry the chicken with the skin side first for 3-5 minutes or until golden and crispy. Then turn and do the same on the other side.
- While waiting, prepare the teriyaki sauce by combining all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Let it cook until reduced by half and slightly thicker.
- Transfer chicken to a chopping board and cut into bite size. Transfer to a serving dish and drizzle with teriyaki sauce. Finish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds on top and some slices of onion greens.