This beef and peppers dish is another quick and easy recipe for people who are in a hurry or do not have enough time but still want to cook a decent meal.
I got this recipe from my mama who got it from my aunt. It is a really simple recipe, consisting mainly of beef and lots of bell peppers. Bell peppers in the Philippines are not that cheap, I think it is because they are only grown in cool places which Philippines is definitely not, except for two places I know: Baguio and Tagaytay. So when I got a bag of bell peppers when I went food shopping yesterday and this is the first thought that entered my mind.
Cooking beef can be tricky sometimes unless you get a prime cut beef which can be very expensive, they could turn dry and chewy. The technique I learned for sauteing beef is to cook it quickly over high heat and not to overcook it to keep it tender.
Beef and peppers
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic - - minced
- 1 small onion - - chopped
- 10.5 ounces beef tenderloin or sirloin - cut into think slices
- 1 red bell pepper - - sliced
- 1 green bell pepper - - sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch - - dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Saute garlic and onion in butter until tender.
- Turn heat to high and add the beef. Saute for about 2-3 minutes just until beef starts to turn in color but still has some pink spots, pour in the cornstarch mixture and add the bell peppers.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir. Cook for another minute or so but do not overcook and bell peppers should still be a bit crisp.
- Remove from heat and serve on top of rice immediately.