Living far away from home, one of the things that I miss is my mama´s cooking. What I do is ask her for recipes when we chat and try to replicate the dish as exactly as I can to lessen my homesickness and feel at home again. This Chicken Curry Recipe was the first one I asked from her.
Although she usually cooks it with chicken, I also tried it with various meat like pork, beef and turkey (breast) and they all turned out really good. Now it is my husband’s favorite dish.
Serve while still hot.
- 500g chicken (I usually use turkey breast)
- 1 medium potato, wedge cut
- 1 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp Fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 Fresh Chili pepper or dried Chili flakes (depends how spicy you like it)
- Cayenne Powder (optional)
- Ground black pepper
- 1 cup Coconut Milk (2 Tbsp Powder dissolved in water)
- 2-3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Fry potato and carrots in oil. Once done, remove from oil and then set aside.
- Saute garlic and onion. Add meat and let cook for a minute before adding the fish sauce. Let it simmer until all meat is cooked.
- Add coconut milk. Add curry powder, chili pepper, cayenne powder and black pepper. Stir and then let it simmer until sauce thickens. I like it really thick and a bit dry so I let it cook a bit longer.
- Before removing from heat stir in the bell pepper and the fried potatoes and carrots.
You might also like
So Easy Shepherd’s Pie