Living far away from home, one of the things that I miss is my mama´s cooking. What I do is ask her for recipes when we chat and try to replicate the dish as exactly as I can to lessen my homesickness and feel at home again. This Chicken Curry Recipe was the first one I asked from her.
Although she usually cooks it with chicken, I also tried it with various meat like pork, beef and turkey (breast) and they all turned out really good. Now it is my husband’s favorite dish.
Serve while still hot.
- 500g chicken (I usually use turkey breast)
- 1 medium potato, wedge cut
- 1 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 Fresh Chili pepper or dried Chili flakes (depends how spicy you like it)
- Cayenne Powder (optional)
- Ground black pepper
- 1 cup Coconut Milk (2 Tbsp Powder dissolved in water)
- 2-3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Fry potato and carrots in oil. Once done, remove from oil and then set aside.
- Saute garlic and onion. Add meat and let cook for a minute before adding the fish sauce. Let it simmer until all meat is cooked.
- Add coconut milk. Add curry powder, chili pepper, cayenne powder and black pepper. Stir and then let it simmer until sauce thickens. I like it really thick and a bit dry so I let it cook a bit longer.
- Before removing from heat stir in the bell pepper and the fried potatoes and carrots.
You might also like these:
Hopia Recipe- Munggo and Ube filling
Hopia is yet another favorite 'merienda' or snack for Filipinos. Hopia is made of thin flaky pastry, traditionally filled with mung bean paste (Munggo). But nowadays, there are more variations to ...read more
Siopao -Asado (Steamed buns with chicken filling)
Siopao is a kind of steamed buns usually filled with meat. Steamed buns are really popular around Asia although it may be called differently in every country. Filipino Siopao Asado is ...read more
Easy Cassava Cake Recipe
Here is a cassava cake recipe that really easy to make and with custard topping that is so yummy. I have always loved cassava cake even when I was still ...read more
So Easy Shepherd’s Pie