Living far away from home, one of the things that I miss is my mama´s cooking. What I do is ask her for recipes when we chat and try to replicate the dish as exactly as I can to lessen my homesickness and feel at home again. This Chicken Curry Recipe was the first one I asked from her.
Although she usually cooks it with chicken, I also tried it with various meat like pork, beef and turkey (breast) and they all turned out really good. Now it is my husband’s favorite dish.
Serve while still hot.
- 500g chicken (I usually use turkey breast)
- 1 medium potato, wedge cut
- 1 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 Fresh Chili pepper or dried Chili flakes (depends how spicy you like it)
- Cayenne Powder (optional)
- Ground black pepper
- 1 cup Coconut Milk (2 Tbsp Powder dissolved in water)
- 2-3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Fry potato and carrots in oil. Once done, remove from oil and then set aside.
- Saute garlic and onion. Add meat and let cook for a minute before adding the fish sauce. Let it simmer until all meat is cooked.
- Add coconut milk. Add curry powder, chili pepper, cayenne powder and black pepper. Stir and then let it simmer until sauce thickens. I like it really thick and a bit dry so I let it cook a bit longer.
- Before removing from heat stir in the bell pepper and the fried potatoes and carrots.
You might also like these:
Filipino Pochero Recipe using pork belly
Pochero (Puchero) is another great dish that we inherited from the Spanish. It is a stew of meat, vegetable, root crops and legumes and was originally considered as peasant stew (in ...read more
Gourmet Tuyo (dried Herring) in Spicy Oil
Try this Gourmet Tuyo Recipe and bring your plain tuyo (dried herring) to a whole new level. Cravings solved because you can keep them longer!Gourmet Tuyo is a current food ...read more
Ukoy Recipe - Filipino Shrimp Fritters
Get this easy Ukoy recipe, the Filipino crunchy shrimp fritters using sweet potato. It is a popular Filipino snack that can also be served as appetizer or, like me, as ...read more
Pan Roast Beef with Gravy Sauce