Ube Halaya is a Filipino dessert made from purple yam or “Ube ” as we call it. The recipe is actually really simple and so is the process, but I have to warn you though that it requires muscle power and patience…lots of it! Maybe that is why Ube Halaya is usually only served at special occasions because of the time and work it requires, but do not get discouraged because it is worth all the effort and with the new kitchen gadgets nowadays it can be a lot easier.
Ube Halaya is usually served cold. It can be eaten as dessert as it is with or without the usual topping of Latik or grated cheese. But it can also be used for making other desserts like ice cream, cake, filling for hopia and so on.
With this Ube Halaya recipe, I used frozen purple yams that I bought in the Asian store. Fresh ones can also be used, of course, and I bet that they will be more flavorful than the frozen ones but fresh purple yams are not often available here in Germany. It turned out surprisingly good anyway and just to be sure, I put it to a test…. I brought some to a Filipina get-together party just last night and I can say that it was a success based on how fast it was gone.
Ube Halaya Recipe (Purple Yam Jam)
- Melt the butter in a wide, deep pan over medium heat. Add the grated yam and coconut milk. Bring it to a boil while stirring occasionally. Let it cook for 15 minutes. Transfer the yam mixture in a blender or use a stab mixer to turn it into a fine puree.
- Return the yam mixture back to the pan and add the remaining ingredients. Turn heat to medium-low and let it simmer while stirring regularly, for another 20-30 minutes or until it turns into a thick, sticky dough and pulls away from the side of the pan when stirring.
- Grease 2 -3 llanera generously with butter. Divide the Ube Halaya into the llanera and let it cool down to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.
- 1.Ube Halaya Recipe (Purple Yam Jam)
- 2.Leche Flan
- 3.Puto flan
- 4.Coconut Macaroons – Filipino Version
- 5.Bibingka Recipe
- 6.Authentic Tibok Tibok (Carabao’s Milk Pudding)
- 7.Coffee Jelly
- 8.Almond Jelly with Lychees
- 9.Buko Pandan Salad
- 10.Filipino Fruit Salad
- 11.Maja Blanca (Coconut Milk Pudding with corn)
- 12.Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- 13.Mango Float Easy Recipe