Dalgona Coffee is the new coffee trend and it's definitely something you must try to make at home! It is very easy and required only 4 ingredients. Get your specialty coffee fix at the comfort of your homes.
What is Dalgona Coffee?
It is something like a reversed latte. Having whipped coffee on top instead of foamed milk and milk as the base and it is normally served cold.
There is a reason why Dalgona coffee has become viral worldwide. It tastes good and looks fancy but very easy to make, especially if you own an electric mixer. The sweet thick velvety foam is created by whipping coffee powder, sugar, and hot water. You can also whip it by hand but it can take a bit longer.
Although it is known to most as a South Korean beverage, whipped coffee or beaten coffee actually has its origin in Pakistan/India (called Phitti Hui normally served hot) and Macau. It became popular when it made an appearance in a Korean TV show where an actor went to Macau and ordered it. He called it Dalgona, referring to the Korean street food sponge candy which has the same appearance while in liquid form.
Whipped Coffee - Dalgona Coffee
- 2 tablespoons coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup milk - cold
- ice - optional
- In a bowl, combine coffee powder, brown sugar, and hot water.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk at medium to high speed for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture turns smooth and foamy and lighter in color.
- Put ice cubes in a tall glass and pour in the milk. Scoop the whipped coffee on top of the milk.
- Serve it with a long spoon to mix. You may also sprinkle some cocoa powder on top for added flavor.
- This recipe can be used for one tall glass or two smaller cups.
- If you do not like it too strong, just use 1 tablespoon of coffee powder, 2 tablespoon brown sugar, and 1 ½ tablespoon hot water.
- You can also try other flavors of mixed coffee, chocolate drink or matcha.
- Make more in a batch. Just multiple the amount with the number of drinks you plan to serve and do the whipping in just one go.
- You can refrigirate the whipped mixture to be used later on.