Fresh Mango Lassi is so easy to make. A healthy and refreshing drink that bursts with flavor from the added spices. If you are a mango-lover, you've got to try this!
The first time I had this drink was on a business trip to Hong Kong. That was I was still working in a BPO for a shipping company with headquarters in HK. Our colleagues were really nice and brought us to some of the best restaurants around Quarry Bay. It was there that I had my first taste of authentic Indian food. I loved it and it was a good experience, better than what I expected. The food was great but it was the Mango Lassi that made a lasting impression on me.
What is Lassi?
Lassi is a traditional India Subcontinental drink made by blending yogurt, water, and spices and sometimes, fruits. It can be either savory or sweet. Normally a drink to neutralize hot and spicy foods.
Mango Lassi is a sweet Lassi that is gaining popularity around the world. There are a lot of different versions of this drink but I prefer it a bit thick and creamy yet so refreshing with its contrasting sweetness and tanginess with a hint of salt. The combination makes this drink interesting indeed and definitely yummy.
How to make Mango Lassi?
It is very easy to make, just blend together mangoes, yogurt, and some chosen spices together with some ice and that is it! Sugar can be added but is optional, depending on how sweet your ripe mangoes are.
I chose to add a bit of ginger and ground cardamom for added flavors and to make it more healthy. It is also common to sprinkle some chopped pistachio on top for garnishing. I wanted it creamy so I skip adding milk. I added a pinch of salt for the contrast. It was truly delicious and refreshing.
Mango Lassi (Mango Yogurt Smoothie)
- 1 big mango -(about ½ pound without pit) - peeled and chopped
- 1 cup natural yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon sugar - adjust as you like
- pinch salt
- ½ tablespoon fresh ginger - optional
- Just put everything in a blender or mixer, pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer into glasses. Garnish with chopped pistachio or mint. Enjoy!
- The amount of sugar depends on how sweet the mangoes are and of course on you!
- You may also add some mint, a leaf or two, to be blended with the rest of ingredients.
This Mango Lassi recipe was originally published in July 2015. Updated in April 2020 to include new photos and a video.