Try this Filipino Chicken Mami recipe, a delicious chicken noodle soup perfect to warm you this cold season and to help keep the colds away.
Although we do not have autumn or winter in the Philippines, we do have the rainy seasons and the month of December to January are also seemingly cold, well at least to us locals. During these times, we keep ourselves warm by eating hot soups like Sopas (chicken noodle soup with milk) and mami, just like this one. This chicken mami recipe is really easy to make which basically is egg noodles with some chicken meat in hot chicken broth and topped with fresh vegetables, hard boiled eggs and toasted garlic. It is definitely one of the best comfort food for the rainy and cold days.
Chicken Mami Recipe
- 6 cups water
- ¾ pound chicken breast (boneless)
- 1 chicken broth cube (optional)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce (can also use salt)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ pound egg noodles (thin) - cooked according to package instructions
- 1-2 stalk spring onions - chopped
- 1 medium carrot - cut into thin strips
- 2 cups shredded cabbage or iceberg lettuce
- 4 eggs (hard boiled)
- Using a deep pot, bring water to a boil.
- Add chicken breasts, soy sauce, fish sauce and chicken broth cube then cover and simmer until meat is cooked for about 20-30 minutes. Lower heat to low just to keep the broth hot but not boiling.
- Remove the chicken breasts and slice as thin as possible.
- Divide the cooked noodles into 4 large bowls. To each bowl, add chicken meat, chopped lettuce/cabbage, carrot strips, boiled egg, spring onions, and toasted garlic. Pour each bowl with the hot broth.