Not your ordinary omelette! These Korean Egg Roll Omellete, Gyeran Mari, are a perfect addition to any Asian-themed party meal.
There are lots of different ways to cook eggs, I know. But if you are tired of having them scrambled, sunny side up, poached, fried, boiled or omelet, then here is another easy way to make them – Egg Roll. And they look much nicer too.
I usually make these Egg Rolls for Asian-themed dinner, like Korean, Chinese or Japanese as they are so simple to make and add to the variety of the dishes.
It is also good to have whenever we are (trying to) watch our weight. They do look appetizing than just simple scrambled eggs plus low in carbs. So we do not feel that we are missing out on anything.
What is Gyeran Mari
It simply translates to rolled eggs and is a common side dish in Korean cuisine. It is made with beaten eggs and some finely chopped vegetables like carrots, bell pepper, and green onions. The mixture is then pan-fried to make an omellete and is rolled. They are then cut into bite size pieces.
There are other variations of this dish. You can add as much or as fewer additions to the egg as you like. Some like to add ham and seaweed sheet (nori). Other common ingredients are mushroom, bacon, imitation crab meat, salted shrimps and zucchini.
How to make Korean Egg Rolls
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl until well beaten and then add milk and salt.
- Add finely chopped carrot, bell pepper, and green onions and mix well.
- Grease pan or skillet thinly with oil and preheat over medium-low heat.
- Add a thin layer of the mixture to the pan and cook until the top begins to set but is still wet.
- Roll the omelette from one side to the other using a spatula. Leave a third of the omellete unrolled.
- Pull it on the other side to make room for the additional mixture.
- Add another thin layer and repeat the process until the roll is about an inch thick.
- Transfer to a cutting board and cut the roll into 1-inch thick pieces.
Egg Roll Recipe
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup carrots - - minced finely
- 1/2 cup bell pepper - - minced finely
- 1/2 cup green onions - - minced finely
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- oil for brushing or spraying pan
- Combine eggs and milk in a bowl and beat with a fork or egg beater until well blended and a bit frothy.
- Using a sieve, sift the mixture through to remove unwanted textures like the chalaza. Doing this gives the egg roll an even texture.
- Add the rest of ingredients and mix well.
- Using a flat pan, heat oil on medium-high. Once it is hot enough, pour a portion of the mixture using a ladle.
- When it is almost cooked, start rolling from one end leaving a quarter unrolled. Then move the whole piece to the end closer to you.
- Pour another portion and repeat the rolling process two more times, rolling completely until the end of the last one.
- Place egg roll on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Once it cooled down a bit, cut egg roll across into smaller pieces about an inch thick.
- Arrange in a plate and serve.