Try this meaty, very cheesy and slightly spicy Chili Cheese Fries or Potato Wedges. It is also easy to make and is done in a jiffy. A complete meal all in itself.
How can something that is so simple be so deliciously good!? Well, I am just happy for quick and easy recipes like this one especially when I have a really busy schedule and with so less time to prepare dinner. It is really a lifesaver! Of course, I used a frozen pack of fries or in this case, potato wedges, but if you are not in so much of a hurry you can also make it from scratch. Same goes for the cheese sauce, it is actually easy to make just like the recipe I used for making mac and cheese.
I do have a tip for you when cooking ground beef. I usually use soy sauce to season ground beef instead of just using salt. Believe me, it tastes a lot better, I guess because soy sauce is easier to absorb and somehow it also enhances the taste of the beef.
This recipe is good enough for 2 but can just be double without a problem. You can also add as much cheese as you want, I know I do!
If you are a fan of Chili, then you should also check out my Super Cheesy Chili Mac and Cheese recipe. A sumptuous all-in-one meal combining Chili and Mac and Cheese! Yum!
Chili Cheese Fries
- ½ bag (about 14 oz) (frozen) seasoned fries or wedges
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 can chili beans
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder - (use paprika for non-spicy variation)
- 3.5 ounces cheese sauce - (Cheddar) or melt cheese
- ½ cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- Lay fries or wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 18 to 25 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, until crisp and golden.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef, stirring constantly to break up all the clumps to fine ground then season with soy sauce. Cook until brown. Add the chili beans and cayenne powder and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until some of the sauce from the beans are reduced into half
- Place the cooked fries or wedges on an oven-safe dish. our the cooked chili and sprinkle with grated Mozzarella then add the cheese sauce over the top of the cooked french fries.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until mozzarella cheese has melted. Serve while hot!