Get this super easy and very basic stove-top Mac and Cheese recipe. Oozing with saucy cheesy goodness, you can never go wrong with this all-time American comfort food.
Mac and Cheese, Macaroni and Cheese, Macaroni Cheese, whatever you call this pasta dish and however you prepare it: baked, slow-cooked, stove top, it will always be one of the classics and an ultimate comfort food.
This homemade Mac and Cheese recipe required only 6 ingredients and that is: macaroni, cheddar (or other similar) cheese, milk, flour, butter and salt and you are all set. The result is a saucy cheesy treat that will make you never to look at boxed mac and cheese again.
I actually wrote about this recipe on this blog about 4 years ago and that was the very first time I made Mac and Cheese. It was not as popular in the Philippines when I was growing up and the only mac and cheese I knew before were the ones in boxes.
So when I finally had the chance to make it from the scratch, I thought I'de to have it as simple as it should be. No additional frills just the basics ingredients.
After four years, I still use this same recipe, I guess nothing beats the classics.
I tried a variation of this recipe, the Chili Mac and Cheese, which is also very good.
Actually, I used this recipe here for the Mac and Cheese and added Chili (Chilli con Carne) to it as a bonus.
Armin loves it and so do I, but more often than not, I tend to prefer the simple recipes over the more extravagant ones and nothing could be more simple and satisfying than this Mac and Cheese recipe.
Classic Stove Top Mac and Cheese Recipe with only 6 Ingredients
- 10.5 ounces elbow macaroni noodles (or any pasta you like)
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar or other preferred cheese or combination of different cheese)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cook the pasta as per instructions. Do not overcook, it should be al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and stir for 1-2 minutes. Watch carefully that it does not get burn. Add milk in a steady stream while constantly whisking to break up lumps and cook until it thickens. Add shredded cheese.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta and cheese sauce until all are fully coated. Serve.