This recipe of Roast beef with cream of mushroom sauce is pot roasted. The beef is so tender and juicy and really simple to make.
When my parents still have their canteen, their bestseller dish, next to sisig, was their roast beef. This is also one of the most requested dishes when we are having a gathering. Usually, when my Mama makes this, the beef is almost swimming in mushroom sauce, but I wanted to show the beautiful color and texture of the pot roast beef in the photos so I resisted the urge to do the same.
After pot roasting the big chunks of beef, they are then cut into thin slices and placed back to the pan where the mushroom sauce will be added and simmered a bit more so the flavor would seep in.
I, personally, find that this process of post roasting is better for beef than oven roasting. Because you can make sure that you get a tender meat after roasting without spending a small fortune for prime cuts of beef. From what I gathered from Christine Gallery in her article about pot roast in the Kitchn, the ideal cuts/parts for pot roasts are chuck, brisket, and round.
- 600 grams chuck roast beef (or brisket, round)
- 3-4 tablespoon oil
- water for slow cooking
- 2 Tablespoon salt
- 10 pieces peppercorn
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 pieces big champignon mushroom, cut into slices (or 1 small canned champignon mushrooms)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 200 ml all-purpose cream
- 4-5 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white ground pepper
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat then add the roast then cook until golden brown on all sides, about 8-10 minutes, turning as needed.
- Transfer roast to a pot, sprinkle salt and add the peppercorn then fill the pot with water, enough to cover the roast and then some more. Cover with lid and then bring water to boil. Once it boils, lower heat to lowest and let it cook for several hours until meat becomes tender (2 hours minimum). Cut meat into thinner slices.
- In a skillet, saute garlic in melted butter until limp. Add the mushrooms and cook until both
galicand mushroom are slightly browned.
- Pour the cream of mushroom and all purpose cream. Season with soy sauce and ground pepper. Let it simmer for some minutes. If the sauce becomes too thick, add some of the beef broth.
- Add the slices of beef to the sauce and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve it with your favorite roasted veggies or with rice.
You might also like these:
Lumpiang Sariwa - Filipino Fresh Spring Rolls
Get this recipe for Lumpiang Sariwa. A kind of Filipino Spring Rolls that is filled with various vegetables, sweet potato, shrimps, and meat. Wrapped in a crepe-like wrapper and covered ...read more
Filipino BBQ - Pork Skewers
Try this Filipino BBQ on Skewers. A perfect combination of sweet, salty, and sticky! Filipinos like mixing their flavors. That's for sure! One proof of that is our Filipino Pork BBQ. ...read more
Nilagang Baka (Filipino Beef Soup with Vegetables)
Nilagang Baka is a Filipino beef soup cooked until the meat becomes really tender and with vegetables like potatoes, beans, and cabbage that makes this simple soup healthy and flavorful. This ...read more
Steamed Fish with Mayonnaise