This recipe of Roast beef with cream of mushroom sauce is pot roasted. The beef is so tender and juicy and really simple to make.
When my parents still have their canteen, their bestseller dish, next to sisig, was their roast beef. This is also one of the most requested dishes when we are having a gathering. Usually, when my Mama makes this, the beef is almost swimming in mushroom sauce, but I wanted to show the beautiful color and texture of the pot roast beef in the photos so I resisted the urge to do the same.
After pot roasting the big chunks of beef, they are then cut into thin slices and placed back to the pan where the mushroom sauce will be added and simmered a bit more so the flavor would seep in.
I, personally, find that this process of post roasting is better for beef than oven roasting. Because you can make sure that you get a tender meat after roasting without spending a small fortune for prime cuts of beef. From what I gathered from Christine Gallery in her article about pot roast in the Kitchn, the ideal cuts/parts for pot roasts are chuck, brisket, and round.
- 600 grams chuck roast beef (or brisket, round)
- 3-4 tablespoon oil
- water for slow cooking
- 2 Tablespoon salt
- 10 pieces peppercorn
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 pieces big champignon mushroom, cut into slices (or 1 small canned champignon mushrooms)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 200 ml all-purpose cream
- 4-5 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white ground pepper
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat then add the roast then cook until golden brown on all sides, about 8-10 minutes, turning as needed.
- Transfer roast to a pot, sprinkle salt and add the peppercorn then fill the pot with water, enough to cover the roast and then some more. Cover with lid and then bring water to boil. Once it boils, lower heat to lowest and let it cook for several hours until meat becomes tender (2 hours minimum). Cut meat into thinner slices.
- In a skillet, saute garlic in melted butter until limp. Add the mushrooms and cook until both
galicand mushroom are slightly browned.
- Pour the cream of mushroom and all purpose cream. Season with soy sauce and ground pepper. Let it simmer for some minutes. If the sauce becomes too thick, add some of the beef broth.
- Add the slices of beef to the sauce and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve it with your favorite roasted veggies or with rice.
You might also like these:
The smell of Longganisa being cooked is enough reason to get up in the morning. I don't know about you, but in my (totally biased) opinion, Filipino breakfast are the ...read more
Pan seared Salmon with Tomato-Basil Sauce
One of the perks of working in a kitchen restaurant is that you get some ideas and recipes that you are sure would taste delicious. This recipe of pan-seared Salmon ...read more
BBQ Pork Belly Recipe
Try this simple recipe for sweet and savory BBQ Pork Belly grilled in the oven. It only needs 5 ingredients that are usually already found in your kitchen. Spring has officially ...read more
Steamed Fish with Mayonnaise