This is a really super easy spinach quiche recipe with some bacon cubes added and lots of cheese for a savory treat.
At the moment, this is the new favorite all-in-one meal of Armin and mine and I find myself always stocking on Spinach and puff pastry. Yup, I use the ready-made one you get from the frozen section in a grocery store. I used to be so stubborn and would rather try to make it from scratch, try being the operative word, as I failed ...several times!!! Until I found this trick for making puff pastry. But still, if you are pressed for time, just swallow your pride and just get a sheet (or two), preferably a round one already fitting your round pie pan or baking dish. Believe me, I do not regret it one bit-- skipping all those steps of rolling, folding and freezing the dough.
I also use fresh spinach for this recipe but of course, frozen spinach will do. I just find it easier to use the fresh one because you just wash and chop them and they are ready. If using a frozen pack, try to wring out as much water as possible after thawing them so your spinach quiche won't get soggy.
Easy Spinach Quiche with Bacon and Cheese
- 1 sheet round puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ pound bacon bits or cubes
- 1 big onion - chopped
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup all-purpose cream or heavy cream
- 1 cup grated cheese - (whatever you prefer or mixed is always good)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups fresh spinach - chopped
- ½ - 1 cup grated cheese - for topping
- Carefully place the puff pastry dough into an 8 inch deep pie dish. Cut excess if any and flute the edges if desired.
- In a pan with hot oil, saute the bacon cubes for 2 minutes then add the chopped onions and cook for another 3 minutes of the onions are slightly browned.
- Remove from heat and add the chopped spinach. Season with salt and pepper and toss until all is well mixed.
- In a big bowl, scramble the eggs and then add the cream and lastly, the 1 cup grated cheese and the flour, mix well.
- Spread the spinach and bacon on top of the pie crust and then pour the egg mixture evenly on top of the spinach. Carefully fold the spinach and egg mixture together a few times to distribute the cheese inside the pie. Top with the remaining grated cheese.
- Bake at 200°C for 15 minutes and then lower temperature to 180°C and continue baking for another 20-30 minutes until set and nicely browned and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.