These amazing Leftover Turkey Baked Roll will give your excess Thanksgiving turkey an entirely new look and taste. Try it and you’ll wish you had more leftovers.
I got inspired to make this recipe while looking at the leftover roast turkey we bought as a take-out that was still sitting in our fridge a couple of days later.
It was the breast part and although I love chicken and turkey, this part seems to be my least favorite. I prefer the boney parts while Armin, on the other hand, loves the meaty part. Perfect, right, so we do not fight over the wings or the breast parts, well most of the time. But this time, by some miracle, it was left untouched so in the fridge it went and totally forgotten.
Until two days later when I was ransacking our fridge to make an inventory did our paths cross again.
Suddenly the idea came to me to use it and turn it into something that Armin and I like to order when we eat at S&R, their Chicken Baked Roll. I think it is similar or the same as Costco’s Chicken bake.
I cannot say it is a copycat of it since I do not know what they put in their chicken baked roll aside from the chunks of chicken, bacon, and cheese. And obviously, I used the leftover turkey instead of chicken and then used smoked bacon, caramelized onions, and mozzarella cheese.
I used a simple pizza dough recipe that I have always used in the past and has never let me down even once.
If you want, you can also buy ready-to-bake pizza dough from the store, nobody will judge you. I will if there is anything available near us or maybe there is, I only haven’t really looked that hard. Besides, I didn’t want to wait any longer or even just another day to make this Leftover Turkey Baked Roll…the turkey has waited long enough.
I think this recipe will be very useful this coming Thanksgiving, well more like days after Thanksgiving for when there are (maybe) leftover turkey that needs a remake.
Leftover Turkey Baked Roll
- 2 cups roast turkey leftover - - cut into slices or strips
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 big onion - - cut into rings
- 300 grams mozzarella cheese - - cut into slices or strips
- 6-9 pieces smoked bacon
- 1 pizza dough
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until caramelized. Set aside, oil included.
- Divide pizza dough into three. Roll a piece into an oval about 10-inch long and 6-inch wide.
- Lay 2-3 pieces of bacon, lengthwise, in the middle of the flattened dough. Arrange the leftover turkey pieces on top of the bacon then top with some caramelized onions and mozzarella cheese.
- Fold the long sides on top of the filling, one overlapping the other. Then the both ends towards the center. Repeat the filling and folding process with the two remaining dough pieces.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the rolls on top of it. Brush each roll with some leftover oil from the caramelized onions.
- Using a skewer or fork, poke a few holes on the top of the rolls.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 15-20 minutes until some parts turn brown.