Moroccan Couscous Salad
For all the vegetable lovers out there, this Moroccan Couscous Salad is for you! A healthy dish loaded with roasted vegetables that will surely excite your taste buds with its range of contrasting flavors.
For the Couscous
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 cup instant couscous
For the Dressing
- 2-3 cloves garlic -grated
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
Vegetables for Roasting
- vegetable oil
- 1 small eggplant -cut into cubes
- 1 small zucchini -cut into cubes
- 1 medium red bell pepper - cut into medium dice
- 1 big red onion -chopped
- 1 medium carrot -cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons mint - chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons parsley or cilantro - chopped finely
Cook the Couscous
Place chicken broth, turmeric powder and olive oil in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once it starts to boil, add the raisins.
Turn off the heat when it reaches a rolling boil. Immediately add the couscous and stir to spread. Let it sit for several minutes to absorb the liquids.
Fluff the couscous using a fork or spoon to loosen.
Make the Dressing
In a small bowl, whish together grated garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, ground cumin and, ground coriander. Season with salt and pepper.
Roasting Vegetables on Stovetop
See NOTE 1 below if you want to roast using oven. Heat a large heavy skillet or pan over medium-high heat. Coat the entire bottom of the pan with a thin layer of oil.
Once the oil is hot, add the vegetables and spread evenly. Avoid to overcrowed the pan and cook in batches if needed.
Cook without stirring for 3-5 minutes or until some browning occurs. Stir to turn the vegetables and then do the same for the other sides. Turn off heat.
Add the cooked couscous to the roasted vegetables and toss to mix. Pour in the dressing, chopped mint, and parsley and give it a good tossing.
Transfer to a serving bowl and top with more parsley if desired.
NOTE 1: Roasting vegetables in the oven
- Preheat oven to 450°F/230°C. Place vegetables on a baking pan and drizzle with 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
- Toss several times to coat evenly. Spread the vegetables around the baking pan in a single layer.
- Roast for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and charred.
Calories: 408kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 242mg | Potassium: 691mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 3840IU | Vitamin C: 58.1mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 2.3mg