Buko Pandan Salad
Buko Pandan salad is a Filipino cold dessert from young coconut meat and Pandan-flavoured jelly that is very easy to make. Try this special Buko Pandan Salad recipe with added tapioca/sago pearls, kaong and nata de coco.
Servings: 12 servings
- 3 cups coconut juice
- ½ pouch (12g) jelly powder (gulaman) - use green if available. Gelatin may also be used (see Note 1)
- ½ cup sugar
- 6-8 pieces Pandan leaves - or use pandan extracts (see Note 2)
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 pack (250mL) all-purpose cream - or table cream / whipping cream
- 2 cups coconut meat - shredded into strips
- ½ cup tapioca pearls - uncooked
- 1 bottle (12oz) kaong (sugar palm fruit) - syrup drained and rinsed
- 1 bottle (12oz) nata de coco (coconut gel) - syrup drained and rinsed
In a pot, bring 1 liter of water to boil. Add the small sago or tapioca pearls and cook for 15 minutes or until translucent. (Check package instructions.) Stir occasionally to prevent from sticking together.
Turn off heat and strain the sago pearls using a fine sieve. Rinse thoroughly until the sago or tapioca pearls are no longer hot to touch. Set aside.
In a pot, add coconut juice and dissolve the jelly powder or gulaman. Add the sugar and pandan leaves and bring it to boil while stirring constantly.
Once it boils, remove from heat and pour into a square pan and let cool to set. You may place it in the fridge to fasten the process. Once ready, cut the gelatin into cubes.
In a big bowl, add the cream and sweetened condensed milk and stir until well blended. Add the coconut strips, tapioca pearls, pandan jelly cubes, kaong and nata de coco and gently mix until well combined. (see Note 3)
Cover bowl and leave it in the fridge to chill or transfer to another container if planning to freeze.
Note 1. 2 pouches of gelatin powder (Knox) may also be used.
Note 2. If using Pandan essence/extract, use about 6-8 drops.
Note 3. If you have time, whip the cream separately into stiff peaks and gently fold it into the mixture after all ingredients are added. If will give it more volume and is better for freezing.
Calories: 114kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 66mg | Potassium: 197mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin C: 1.9mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 0.6mg