Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Perfectly fried meatballs simmered in an amazing sweet and sour sauce. This Sweet and Sour Meatball can be served as an hors d'oeuvre or as a main dish with steaming hot rice!
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 large egg
- 1 medium onion - chopped finely
- 1 small carrots - finely diced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt - adjust as needed
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper - adjust as needed
- 1/8 cup grated Parmesan - or grated cheese (optional)
- oil - for frying
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch - dissolved in 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 small onion - cut into 4 parts
- 1 small carrots - half cut into strips, half into flowers
- 1/2 cup bell pepper - cut into squares
- 1/2 cup pineaplple tidbits
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for the meatballs and mix them well using your hands. Form balls for about 1 1/2 inch diameter using both hands.
Add oil to a pan high enough to cover the meatballs at least half-way through. Cook the meatballs in hot oil until nicely browned on both sides. Remove the meatballs from the oil and place on a plate or colander. Set aside.
While waiting for the meatballs to fry, you can prepare the sauce. In a large pan, heat oil on high. Stir fry and carrots strips for about 1-2 minutes, do not overcook.
Turn heat to low. Add vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper and pour in water with cornstarch and ketchup. Stir until combined and sugar is dissolved. Now add the cooked meatballs to the sauce and let it simmer until sauce thickens for about 3-5 minutes. Add bell peppers, onion, pineapple, and carrot flowers and cook for another 2 minutes.
Transfer Sweet and Sour Meatballs to your serving dish. Garnish with chopped green onions if desired.
Calories: 504kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 135mg | Sodium: 1432mg | Potassium: 574mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 4920IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 3.5mg