Sinigang na Hipon (Shrimp in Sour Soup)
Pucker up and enjoy this Sinigang na Hipon, a Filipino sour soup with shrimp and vegetables using tamarind as the souring agent.
- 4 cups water
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes - cut into quarters
- 1 medium onion (yellow or red) - cut into quarters
- 1 medium radish (labanos) - cut into slices
- 1 ½ pound large shrimp
- 1 pack (22g) tamarind mix (Sinigang Mix)
- 1 small bunch yard-long beans (sitaw) - cut into 2-inch long pieces
- 6 pieces okra
- 1 medium eggplant - cut into slices
- 2-3 pieces green finger chili (sili sigang)
- 2-3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 bunch water spinach (kangkong) -tips and upper stalk only
Bring 1 liter of water in a pot to a boil over medium-high heat.
Add the tomatoes and onions. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the radish and cook for another 2 minutes.
Add the shrimp. Once the shrimp turn pink, add the tamarind mix. Simmer for about 2 minutes.
Add the beans followed by the okra, and chili. Bring back to boil and cook for 2 minutes.
Season with fish sauce and add the eggplant. Cook for a minute and, lastly, add the water spinach. Push the leaves down gently until submerged. Simmer for another minute.
Transfer to serving bowls and serve while hot with rice.
Calories: 121kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 285mg | Sodium: 1373mg | Potassium: 173mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 715IU | Vitamin C: 12.1mg | Calcium: 179mg | Iron: 2.7mg