Sinigang na Salmon (Salmon Head in Sour Tamarind Soup)
Stay warm and healthy while you enjoy this nutritious Sinigang na Salmon, a Filipino sour soup with a good mix of fish and vegetables.
- 1 liter water
- 3 pieces tomatoes - cut into quarters
- 1 medium onion - cut int quarter
- 1 thumb ginger - cut into 4-5 slices
- 1 medium white radish - cut into thin diagonal slices
- 5 pieces yardlong beans - ends trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 piece Salmon head - gills removed, cleaned and cut into half
- 1 medium eggplant - cut into 1-inch diagonal pieces
- 5 pieces okra
- 3 pieces green chili peppers
- 1 packet Tamarind soup mix - for 1-liter pack
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 bunch water spinach (Kangkong) - hard part of the stalks trimmed
In a pot over high heat, bring 1 liter of water to boil.
Add tomatoes, onion, ginger, yardlong beans, and white radish. Lower heat to medium and cover pot with lid. Simmer for 5 minutes or until white radish is just half cooked.
Add the Salmon head, eggplant, okra, and green chili peppers. Pour in tamarind mix and fish sauce and gently stir to avoid breaking the fish into pieces. Simmer for 5 minutes or until fish is cooked
Add the water spinach (Kangkong) and cook for a few seconds then turn off the heat.
Transfer content to a serving soup dish and serve with steamed rice.
Calories: 77kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 404mg | Potassium: 305mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 900IU | Vitamin C: 10.2mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 0.6mg