Escabeche- Filipino Sweet & Sour Fish
Make this colorful, tangy-sweet Filipino Escabeche or Sweet and Sour Fish and bring your plain fried fish to the next level of goodness.
- 1 whole Tilapia - at least a pound
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ⅓ cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch - dissolved in ½ cup water
- ½ cup red bell pepper - cut into strips
- ½ cup green bell pepper - cut into strips
- ½ cup carrots - cut into strips
- ¼ cup ginger - cut into strips
- 1 onion - sliced
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- ½ cup cooking oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon salt for seasoning fish
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup - optional, for coloring
Season fish with salt. Heat oil in a frying pan and once oil is hot, fry fish one side of at a time until golden brown. Remove fish from pan and place it on a serving plate.
In a saucepan, saute garlic, ginger, and onion in 2 tablespoon oil. Add carrots and bell peppers. Pour in vinegar and dissolved cornstarch and add sugar and ketchup. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let it simmer until sauce thickens while stirring occasionally.
Pour sauce into the fried fish and serve.
Calories: 720kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 63g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 1193mg | Potassium: 394mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 6650IU | Vitamin C: 85.5mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 0.5mg