Tocino Recipe (Sweet Cured Pork)
Tocino is a sweet cured meat typically served as Filipino breakfast. Try this easy and simple pork tocino recipe for that sweet, savory and tender tocino.
- 2 pounds pork (butt, shoulder, ham or belly) - cut into ¼ inch thin
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt
- 3 cloves garlic - finely minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ¼ cup fruit juice, (pineapple, apple) (optional)
- ½ tablespoons finely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon rice flour (optional)
- natural red food color (optional)
In a big bowl, combine all ingredients except for the pork slices. Mix until well blended.
Add the pork and mix using the hand, use hand gloves to avoid stains. Mix for several minutes to an hour.
Transfer to a container with a cover and let it sit overnight on the counter.
Mix again for a couple of times before putting in the fridge. Cure for 24 hours or up to 3 days. Can be frozen afterwards and stored longer.
Calories: 257kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 1990mg | Potassium: 383mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin C: 2.2mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 1.5mg