Tinola is a chicken soup with lots of ginger and other good stuff in it - the ultimate comfort food for the sick and during cold times and easy to prepare.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 big cloves garlic - minced
- 1 medium onion - coarsely chopped
- 1 thumb ginger root - cut into strips
- 1 pound chicken - cut into serving pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 cups water
- 1 chayote - cut into wedges
- 1 cup chili leaves or pepper leaves
In a pot, saute garlic, onion and ginger in oil until tender.
Add in the chicken pieces and fish sauce. Cover and let simmer for 5-10 minutes under medium low fire. Liquids will usually come out from chicken.
Add water and bring to boil. Let it simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the chayote and let it cook for 5 minutes or until it becomes soft.
Add more fish sauce or salt if needed.
Lastly, mix in the chili or pepper leaves before turning off the heat.
Calories: 436kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 113mg | Sodium: 1062mg | Potassium: 428mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 4.2% | Vitamin C: 10.3% | Calcium: 4.5% | Iron: 9.3%