You definitely have to try this Cheesy Spicy Tuna Spring Rolls recipe! Exploding with flavor at every single bite. Surprisingly delicious!
It is one of those dishes that will give you a nice surprise as you bite on its crispy fried spring roll wrapper. A mild explosion of flavors follows. You might have an idea how it should taste only then to discover you were wrong. You will never look at a canned tuna the same way again!
It can be served as an appetizer or finger food, but can also be eaten as the main dish as it can be filling.
This recipe is also a rather simple and easy dish to make and a good alternative for those who are trying to avoid or at least lessen their red meat in their diet. It is also very timely, now that we are celebrating the Lent season. Even the dip is so basic, I just used ketchup mixed with some sweet chili sauce but that can be omitted, ketchup on its own will do just fine!
For those who are not particularly fond of fish, just try this recipe! Armin, who is not so big on fish and seafood, commented that he can barely detect the fishy taste of the tuna. Heck, even Sietema, a really picky eater, loved it! I never knew dogs also like tuna and a spicy one at that! I hope it does not upset her tummy though…
Cheesy Spicy Tuna Spring Rolls
- 1 can (7 oz) tuna chunk in water - - drained
- 1 small onion - - chopped finely
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1-3 teaspoons cayenne pepper - (depends how spicy you like it)
- 1/4 cup parsley - or chives or celery - chopped
- 1 cup grated cheese
- spring roll wrappers
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch - - dissolved in 1/4 cup of water for sealing the wraps
- oil - - for frying
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients, except for the last four. Mix using a fork until well combined then add the grated cheese and mix again to distribute evenly.
- On a clean surface, lay a spring roll wrapper diagonally. Scoop a spoonful of the filling and place it near one corner of the wrapper and gently push the filling into about 4-inch long, leaving some space at both ends. Fold in the left and right sides of the wrapper towards the center, then roll from the end nearest you over the filling then keep on rolling towards the other end as neatly and tightly as possible. Moisten the other side of the wrapper with cornstarch mixture to keep it from opening while frying. Repeat with remaining wrappers.
- Deep fry on medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain oil from the spring rolls by placing them on a plate with paper towels.