We Filipinos love our lumpia. Most specially lumpiang Shanghai— ground pork and some spices wrapped in lumpia wrapper and fried to golden brown yumminess! This is my tuna lumpia version!
You definitely have to try this cheesy spicy tuna spring rolls recipe! It is one of those dishes that will give you a nice surprise as you bite on its nice crispy fried wrapper. A mild explosion of flavors follows. You might have an idea how it should taste, like fishy, only to discover you were wrong. You will never look at a canned tuna the same way again!
It can be served as an appetizer or finger food, but can also be eaten as the main dish as it can be filling.
This recipe is also a rather simple and easy dish to make. A good alternative for those who are trying to avoid or at least lessen red meat in their diet. Even the dip is so basic, I just used ketchup mixed with some sweet chili sauce but that can be omitted, ketchup on its own will do just fine!
For those who are not particularly fond of fish, just try this recipe! Armin, who is not so big on fish and seafood barely detected the fishy taste of the tuna. Heck, even Sietema loved it! I never knew our picky eater shih-tzu would ever eat tuna and a spicy one at that! But she devoured them like they were treats.
Notes on some ingredients:
What canned tuna to use? Any kind will do but I recommend using chunky tuna in water. They are normally more neutral in taste. Water is also easier to drain than oil plus, as these will already be fried, will not add greasiness. I used 1 can of tuna for this recipe but different brands have different meat to water ratio. You may need to use 2 can instead if the can has more water.
To give it more flavors, you can add finely chopped parsley , chives or celery. Fresh is the best but if not available, dried ones works also well.
For spiciness, we used cayenne powder. You can also use chili powder or any spicy condiment in powder or liquid form.
Mayonnaise is also added not only for added creaminess but also to hold the filling together. You can adjust it as you like.
Cheesy Spicy Tuna Spring Rolls
- 1 can (7 oz) tuna chunk in water - drained
- 1 small onion - chopped finely
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoons cayenne pepper -or more
- ¼ cup parsley or chives or celery - chopped
- 1 cup grated cheese
- spring roll wrappers
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch - dissolved in ¼ cup of water for sealing the wraps
- oil - for frying
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients, except for the last four. Mix using a fork until well combined then add the grated cheese and mix again to distribute evenly.
- On a clean surface, lay a spring roll wrapper diagonally. Scoop a spoonful of the filling and place it near one corner of the wrapper and gently push the filling into about 4-inch long, leaving some space at both ends. Fold in the left and right sides of the wrapper towards the center, then roll from the end nearest you over the filling then keep on rolling towards the other end as neatly and tightly as possible. Moisten the other side of the wrapper with cornstarch mixture to keep it from opening while frying. Repeat with remaining wrappers.
- Deep fry on medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain oil from the spring rolls by placing them on a plate with paper towels.
This post was originally publised in march 2017. Updated in May 2020 to include a recipe video.
I love all the recipes you've shared thank you so much
That is so great to know, Susan!
Looks yummy! Can the uncooked ones be frozen? And for how long it will last?
If you will freeze them, use a zip lock and arrange them on a single layer or in a container box with parchment paper to separate each layer. It could be stored in the freezer for weeks if properly packed and stored. You can fry them while still a bit frozen.
Not bad at all!! I didn’t have egg roll paper, so I used spring roll wrappers instead and went lighter on the mayo, but this was awesome. I crushed some Thai chili in soy seasoning and used that as the dipping sauce with my extra celery as side veggies. Mmmmm! Thanks 🙂
I have tried this recipe and it turned out so well. My friends like it so much.
Thank you for sharing .
That is great to hear Belen and you are welcome!