It is pretty easy and simple to make this yummy and fluffy strawberry cream cake. Cooled, it will stay firm for a long time and it`s perfect for any kind of occasion.
Still about strawberries. This is my third post about strawberries for this month, I guess you now know how much I like them. I was thinking what to do with the strawberries we bought last time. First, I thought of making strawberry cheesecake but when I checked the fridge I saw that I have 1 cup of mascarpone left…hhmmm… so I did some experiment and what do you know! It was actually good! But I guess you cannot really go wrong with strawberries, right?
I used Sponge Cake as a base cake for this recipe and it was perfect. I only made a small one (17cm round) so I cut the sponge cake recipe in half.
It has a light texture and with just the right amount of sweetness. A warning though, it is highly addictive, Armin and I finished it in one go. So if you are looking for something different in a cake, you should definitely try this one.
Strawberries & Cream Cake
- 1 sponge cake
- 8 large strawberries
FOR THE CREAM
FOR THE STRAWBERRY SYRUP
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup strawberries - - cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- pinch of red food color - (optional)
- Place the sponge cake in the middle of a cake ring or springform, leaving at least 1 cm space around the edges of the cake to the ring. Set aside.
- Add gelatin powder to 1/4 cup cold water. Once the gelatin has bloomed, put it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to dissolve. Let it cool down.
- In a big bowl, add sugar to cream and whip using a mixer until soft peaks form. Add the gelatin slowly while continuously whipping for another minute. Add the mascarpone and mix well.
- Get the prepared form and sponge cake and position pieces of strawberries inside the cake forming a circle with even gaps. I placed 4 pieces first in opposite directions then the remaining 4 in between. Mark the middle of one of the strawberries, you can use a toothpick. This is to let you know where to cut later.
- Pour the cream over the cake and strawberries until all are fully covered. Cover with fling wrap or foil and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- To make the strawberry syrup: Place water, sugar, color and strawberries in a saucepan and let it simmer. Remove from heat and add the gelatin powder. Mix well until the gelatin dissolved. Using a stab mixer or blender, puree the strawberry mixture. Strain and let cool.
- Remove the cake from the ring or springform. Using the mark on one of the strawberries you made earlier, cut across the cake and then sideways making 4 equal parts. Drizzle chilled cake with strawberry syrup before serving.
250 ml whipping or all-purpose cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon gelatin powder, bloomed in 1 Tablespoon cold water and then heated until dissolved (10 sec in microwave)
The remnants from the syrup (left on the sieve) Whip the cream with while adding sugar until soft peaks from, add the gelatin slowly while continuously whipping until stiff peaks shows. Add the remnants from the syrup and mix. Pipe rosettes on the chilled cake.