Try this easy and delicious Sizzling Tofu recipe that is inspired by Max’s but with a spicy twist. You can serve it as an appetizer or side dish and also perfect as a beer chow.
The sizzling Tofu of Max Restaurant, a popular restaurant chain in the Philippines, is one of their most beloved and famous signature dish. Well, next to their fried chicken, of course.
It is the vegetarian option in their sizzling specials menu which mostly consist of meat, like pork and chicken.
This recipe requires very few and simple ingredients. Firm tofu, bell peppers, garlic, onions, mayonnaise, and oyster sauce is actually all you need. But if you like, you can add some chilis to give it an added kick.
I am used to frying tofu as a whole block and just cutting it once it is fried, this is how it is done usually, well in our house at least. It is easier and faster that way, especially if you are gonna fry a lot of tofu.
However, I want my sizzling tofu to look like that of Max’s, I had to cut them into cubes first and fry them.
If you would like to take the faster and easier route in browning the tofu cubes, you can deep fry them.
But since I am only making this dish only for two, I find it a waste to use too much oil for just a block of tofu so I just fried them in a small pan with enough oil.
If you do not have a sizzling plate, like this one below from Amazon, a cast iron skillet would also do perfectly fine.
I now have one but not at the time when I made this, about a week ago, though I still got me one for future use, my cast iron skillet did a perfect job. It should as they are both of the same material anyway.
How to prepare Tofu for cooking?
I guess you know that you should drain the water from tofu before frying but did you know that you have to press it too?
This is to get rid of as much water inside the tofu as possible and will give you firmer, crispier fried tofu.
This how you do it:
- Line one or two sheets of paper towel on top of a plate. Place the tofu on top, as a blocked or sliced.
- Add another one or two paper towels on top of the tofu and cover with another plate.
- Add some weight on top of the plate, like a book or bag of beans, to squeeze out the liquids do this for some minutes and discard the liquids.
Sizzling Tofu Recipe
- 4 tablespoons oil - - for frying
- 1 block firm or extra firm tofu - (about 350 grams)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic - - minced
- 1 medium onion - - chopped finely
- 1 small red bell pepper - - chopped finely
- 1 small green bell pepper - - chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 piece bird's eye chili - - sliced diagonally
- 1 piece green pepper - - sliced diagonally
- Fry tofu cubes in hot oil until golden brown on all sides. Remove the fried tofu from oil and transfer into a plate lined with paper towel to remove excess oil.
- In a sizzling plate or cast iron pan, saute garlic, onions, and bell peppers in butter for a minute or until onions become translucent.
- Add in mayonnaise, oyster sauce, water, green pepper and chili. Let it cook and simmer while stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Toss in the fried tofu and mix until well blended. Serve while hot on the sizzling plate or cast iron pan.