One cold day, Armin suddenly asked for a soup and I was caught unprepared. Usually, I make 'Sopas' which is a Filipino version of chicken noodle soup cooked with milk and he loves it. But at that time, we didn't have chicken and we just ran out of milk and we had a really ugly cold weather that neither of us wanted to go out and buy some. So I rummage around our fridge and cupboards to see what we have at hand. That is how this soup came to be. It is really very simple and was ready in just a few minutes. I was not expecting so much from this soup because it was so impromptu and experimental but it actually turned out good and, more importantly, it kept us warm and our stomach full.
I am sure, it will also be good to use chicken or turkey for this recipe and add other vegetables like peas or green beans, maybe next time, but I was quite happy with this simple vegetable soup.
Simple Vegetable Soup
- 1 clove garlic - - minced
- 1 small onion - - chopped finely
- 7 ounces ground pork - or beef
- 3.5 ounces shell noodles
- 1 cup carrots - - cubed
- 2 cups potatoes - - cubed
- ½ cup green bell pepper
- 1 stalk onion leeks - - chopped
- 1 broth cube - - optional
- ¼ cup parsley - - chopped to garnish
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3-4 cups water - or meat broth
- Saute garlic and onion in butter until soft and tender.
- Add ground meat and cook for 5 minutes or until all meat is done.
- Stir in the pasta and vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Cook until just slightly roasted.
- Pour water or broth and cover. If using broth cube, cut the amount of salt. Let it boil for some minutes until noodles are done and vegetables are tender.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.