Pininyahang Manok or Pineapple Chicken, yet another Filipino recipe, is simply chicken with vegetables cooked in white sauce wherein chunks of pineapples are added which gives this dish a delightful sweetness. There are different variations on how people prepare this dish and while some people prefer to use coconut milk and others fresh or evaporated milk for the sauce, I, on the other hand, used whipping or all-purpose cream because I like my sauces creamier. My version is also a quick and easy one.It was kind of spur of the moment thing when I cooked this Pineapple Chicken or Pininyahang Manok as it was really not planned at all. It just so happened that I was peeling a pineapple for snacking when a picture from a distant memory suddenly popped into my mind, I was not sure when or where it was exactly but I can tell it is a gathering with my college friends. What was clear though is that I was having this dish and for the first time. The memory was just a flash but it made such an impact that I could actually taste it in my mouth. Is that weird? Did that ever happen to you? Anyway, so since I have pineapple in my hands already, might as well cook it to fulfill a vision! 😉 Good thing, the rest of the ingredients staples in our kitchen.
Pininyahang Manok (Pineapple chicken)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium carrot - - sliced
- 2 medium potatoes - - cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic - - minced
- 1 medium onion - - chopped
- 1 pound chicken - - cut into serving pieces
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper - - sliced
- 6.7 fluid ounces all-purpose cream - or whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat and cook carrots and potatoes for several minutes or until edges are slightly browned. Remove from oil and set aside.
- In the same oil, saute onions and garlic until softened. Add chicken, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Lower heat and add the fish sauce and pineapple chunks. Stir then cover and simmer until chicken is tender (chicken will release its own juices).
- Add back the pre-cooked carrots and potatoes and also the bell peppers. Pour in the cream and stir. Season with pepper to taste. Continue to simmer for about 5 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Serve hot with steamed rice.