Try this easy Pad Thai recipe. Made from simple ingredients. A complete meal in one!
I’ve been wanting to make Pad Thai for a long time and I am not sure why I keep on putting it off. Especially now that I know from first-hand experience how easy it can be done.
This Pad Thai has shrimps and tofu but you can easily remove the tofu if you are not a fan or use other meat like chicken breast. I actually wanted to use tiger prawns or at least bigger size shrimps but since I didn’t have time to buy and I have to babysit Sietema, I asked Armin to buy them for me. And you know what they say about never sending a man to do a woman’s job…well…he came home with these really tiny shrimps. Oh well, not at all what I have planned for but they had to do. In the end, it was actually better for mixing and the shrimps are distributed evenly with the noodles.
Different recipes have their own way of cooking Pad Thai. But this recipe is as simple and straightforward. Most recipes also require tamarind paste. Well, I do not have tamarind paste but I do have tamarind powder that is commonly used in the Philippines for making a sour soup called Sinigang. So I just used that. I also have palm sugar in my pantry but if you don’t, then just use regular sugar but reduce the amount to maybe half. You may also adjust the spiciness of course.
Pad Thai Easy Recipe
- Cook rice noodle as per package instructions.
- n a small bowl, combine fish sauce, palm sugar, water, and tamarind powder. Mix well until sugar is completely dissolved. Set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until aromatic. Add Tofu and shrimps and cook until shrimps turn pink/orange, about 3-5 minutes.
- Move the shrimps and tofu on one side to make room on the skillet. Crack the eggs directly into the skillet and scramble them to break the yolk and mix with the whites. Fry the eggs for a minute or two or until cooked and then mix everything together.
- Add the cooked rice noodles and pour in the sauce. Mix until well blended. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add half of the bean sprouts, half of the chopped peanuts, half of onion greens and chili flakes. Toss until well distributed. Cook for another minute or two.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Top with the rest of bean sprouts, chopped peanuts, and onion greens