During my five-week vacation in the Philippines, we dine out a lot! There were so many new restaurants opening in my hometown, Pampanga, that we just have to try and check some of them out. One time, we were out for lunch at Barneys Burger as per recommendation of my mama's friend. Food was great and at reasonable prices too! But what really caught my taste buds was their salad called Ali-Mango Salad, witty-named after 'alimango'-which means crab in Filipino or Tagalog, since this salad is a combination of mango and crab sticks or surimi dressed with their special mango salad dressing. It was really very simple but so good, I went back with a friend for more of this delectable salad.
After craving for this salad when I came back to Germany, I knew I have to try to make a mango dressing, which was perfect timing since Armin turned to raw food diet and getting fed up with his usual balsamic and olive oil dressing. So I made this Mango-Mayo Dressing that is absolutely raw food and satisfied my yearning at the same time.
Mango Mayo Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise (refer to my homemade mayonnaise recipe)
- 1 big ripe mango - peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Puree mango in blender or stab mixer until very smooth.
- Add the mayonnaise and honey and keep on mixing until well combined.
- Transfer to a jar or container and keep refrigerated if not yet using. May be kept for a week.
I also make our own mayonnaise, which is really very easy and can be done in less than 5 minutes. It can be done the same time as you make this recipe.
My Ali-mango less the surimi sticks because I cannot wait to try this dressing. I will get some of those surimi sticks next time...