Try this Lumpiang Togue recipe for a scrumptious, easy and healthy spring rolls with mung bean sprouts and other veggies.
It is known by many names. Other calls it Lumpiang prito (fried spring rolls), Lumpiang gulay (vegetable spring rolls) or Lumpiang Togue (mung bean sprouts spring rolls). But whatever name you call it, it is definitely delicious and healthy too.
In my last post, I showed you how you can grow mung bean sprouts in jars and in as fast as 3-4 days. Now since I have the sprouts, I finally got the chance to make this delectable Lumpiang Togue. It is actually fairly simple and there are different recipes for it. The main ingredient is, of course, the mung bean sprouts or togue in Filipino. Other add tofu or ground pork but I decided to use minced prawns! Delicious!
It is great for snack time but this Lumpiang Togue could also be served as appetizer or side dish. And for those trying to lose weight, this is a perfect dinner too! Oh, and let us not forget the spicy vinegar dip!
Lumpiang Togue (Mung Bean Sprouts Spring Rolls)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic - - minced
- 1 medium onion - - chopped
- 1 cup prawns - - minced
- 2 cups green beans - - cut diagonally
- 1 big carrots - - julienned
- 3 cups mung bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- 10-12 sheets spring roll wrapper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch - - dissolved in ¼ cup water
- 1 cup oil - - for deep frying
- Saute garlic and onion over medium heat until translucent. Add the prawns and cook until it turns pink.
- Add the green beans and carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes then add the mung bean sprouts and season with fish sauce and pepper then cook for another minute.
- Transfer everything to a colander to drain excess liquids.
- On a clean surface, lay a spring roll wrapper diagonally. Scoop about 2 spoonfuls of the vegetable mix and place it the corner of the wrapper nearest you. Spread the filling sideways (about 3 inches long), leaving some space at both ends. Roll the wrapper from the end nearest you over the filling then fold in the left and right sides of the wrapper towards the center, then keep on rolling towards the other end as neatly and tightly as possible. Moisten the other side of the wrapper with cornstarch mixture to keep it from opening while frying. Repeat with remaining wrappers.
- Deep fry on medium heat turning them 2-3 times for 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Drain oil from the spring rolls by placing them on a plate with paper towels.