Try this German Käsesuppe or leek cheese soup recipe. With sauteed ground meat and blue cheese. It is so simple yet so deliciously creamy and hearty!
Leeks are in season again and one of my favorite recipes for leeks is this leek cheese soup which is commonly known here in Germany as Käsesuppe. I got the recipe from a colleague where I used to work before I decided to quit and focus on this blog. We used to have lunch together in the office kitchen with some of our other colleagues. This is usually the (only) time we could chat and catch up ( and sometimes gossip hehehe) when we are busy in our own departments.
One time, she brought this leek and cheese soup for lunch and warmed it in the microwave. Once she took it out, everyone in the kitchen was asking what the wonderful smell was and I, of course, just had to ask for the recipe.
The recipe she gave me calls for spreadable cheese with gouda and herbs. However, I felt that I had to change it a bit because I am not sure if this is available in other places. Instead, I used Gorgonzola/blue cheese and cream cheese and it was absolutely delicious! The blue cheese I used is the milder and softer version but I am pretty sure other soft cheese would also do great!
Leek Cheese Soup (Käsesuppe)
- In a deep pan or pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Saute the ground meat until just cooked.
- Add the leeks and cook covered for 3 minutes.
- Pour in the cream and add the cream cheese and blue cheese. Mix well until all the cheeses have melted. Add milk if it becomes too thick.
- Season with salt and pepper. Let it simmer until the leeks become tender
You can watch the video for this delicious recipe here: