This Lasagna roll-ups recipe is a quicker and easier way to make this classic Italian pasta. You will still get all the beefy, saucy, and cheesy goodness of traditional Lasagna but with less time and effort.
When it comes to pasta dishes, quick and easy ones are my favorite! Like my Pesto Pasta with Tuna and Baked Ziti . Of course, there is also the Sweet Spaghetti that we Filipinos love. They are life-savers when I am in need of a quick and easy but deliciously filling meal. And with this rolled Lasagna recipe, I can now also enjoy it as often as I like to! It is less laborious and is made a fraction of the time it usually takes to make one.
What are Lasagna Roll-ups?
These are made by rolling the lasagna noodles with cheese and meat sauce into single-serve portions instead of making them in several layers. They are then arranged in a baking dish and topped with more sauce and cheese before cooking. This allows for lesser baking time plus easier and less messy serving.
How to make lasagna Rolls?
- Cook the lasagna sheets according to package instruction.
- Cook the meat sauce and set aside.
- Prepare the cheese sauce.
- Spread ½ cup of the meat sauce on baking dish.
- Lay the cooked lasagna sheets flat. Divide the cheese sauce and spread on top of each sheet. Spread a tablespoon of the meat sauce over the cheese sace.
- Roll up the noodles and place them, seam side down, on the preapred baking dish. Pour the remaining meat sauce on top.
- Bake in preheated oven then serve.
Additional cooking tips
- Make sure that the noodles are cooked al dente so they do not tear while rolling.
- Rinse the noodles in cold water after boiling to prevent them from sticking together. This will also stop them from cooking further from residual heat keeping them firm.
- Place a layer of meat sauce on the baking dish before adding the lasagna rolls so they do not stick to the pan.
- Place the Lasagna rolls with seam side down so they do not unravel while baking. Also, use a baking dish that will fit all the pieces snugly so they stay intact.
Make-ahead and Storing
- To Make Ahead. This dish is perfect for making ahead of time! All you need to do is assemble the rolls in a casserole dish and cover it tightly with cling wrap. You can refrigerate and bake the next day. You can also freeze them for longer storage. Take note that frozen uncooked Lasagna rolls will need more time in the oven.
- Storing Leftovers. You can place them on a lidded container or wrap them in foil once cooled down. They can stay refrigerated for 3-5 days. This comfort food is one of those that stays delicious even after a few days of making it!
- Reheating Options. You can reheat them using your microwave or the oven. The duration depends on how many servings you are reheating.
FAQs about this recipe
Of course, you can use pork, chicken, or turkey meat. Sausages are also great substitutes.
Absolutely. Aside from cream cheese, ricotta and mozzarella, you can also use parmesan cheese, cottage cheese, or cheddar cheese.
I used Marinara sauce in this recipe. But feel free to use other types of tomato-based pasta sauce that you like.
Sure, you can. Aside from oregano and basil, you can use Italian seasoning, thyme, rosemary, or crushed fennel seeds. You can even add red pepper flakes to add a bit of heat to your lasagna!
With a few substitutions, you definitely can. By swapping the beef with chopped mushrooms, you will still get the same meaty texture. Also, use dairy-free cheese instead of regular ones.
Lasagna Roll Ups
- 12 pieces lasagna sheets
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 500 grams ground beef 90% lean
- salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ cup bell pepper chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 can pasta (marinara) sauce 24 oz
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste optional
- 1 package cream cheese 8 oz , softened (in microwave) or ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded plus more for topping
- ¼ cup parsley chopped, plus more for garnishing
- 12 pieces lasagna sheetsCook lasagna sheets as per package instruction until al dente.
- 1 tablespoon oil, 1 medium onion, 3 cloves garlicIn a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sweat onion and garlic (cook just until limp, do not caramelize).
- 500 grams ground beef, salt, ½ teaspoon ground pepper, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried basil, ½ cup bell pepperAdd ground beef and break up the lumps with a spatula. Season with salt, pepper, dried oregano, and dried basil. Cook until no longer pink. Then stir in the bell peppers.
- 1 can pasta (marinara) sauce, 2 tablespoon tomato pasteAdd the pasta sauce and tomato paste. Check if it needs more seasonings. Bring to a simmer then turn off the heat. Set aside.
- 1 package cream cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, ¼ cup parsleyIn a bowl, add cream cheese/ricotta, mozzarella cheese, and chopped parsley. Mix together until well combined.
- Take ½ cup of the meat sauce and spread it over the bottom of a baking dish.
- In a baking sheet, line up the cooked lasagna noodles. Divide and spread the cheese mixture on top of each noodle. Then scoop a tablespoon of the meat sauce and spread it on top of the cheese mixture.
- Roll up the noodles and arrange them, seam side down, on the prepared baking dish. Top the rolls with the remaining meat sauce and sprinkle with more mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes in a preheated oven at 375°F/190°C or until the cheese has melted then broil (top heat at high) for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is lightly golden brown.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
Mylenne Rieza says
hey Bebs! I have been following your content and blogs for almost a couple of years but this is my first time giving a comment. How wonderful and affordable to prepare all the food ideas you have been sharing. I am also a foodie and love to experiment in the kitchen with different kinds of food recipes. Congratulations on your show.
Hi Mylene, thank you for your lovely comment and for supporting our blog through the years. 😘