This Japanese Siomai is really easy and simple to make. Two of the most well-loved Asian dishes, Sushi and Siomai, combined into one!
Another great and easy recipe I got from my best sis-in-law! Japanese Siomai can be served as starters or even as the main dish itself. It also requires very simple ingredients.
You just roll it like you would a regular sushi with the crab sticks as the filling. Then cut them into the desired size.
Then you steam them like you would Siomai.
One of the highlights of this dish is actually the dipping sauce. You can adjust it from slightly spicy to really hot and spicy! I personally liked the crunch that the roasted garlic adds to the mix, but you can also already combine all the ingredients for the dipping sauce in one bowl and let each flavor blends and fuse together.
Japanese Siomai Recipe
- Combine all ingredients, except for the last two, in a bowl. Mix until well blended. Cover and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Lay a Nori wrap on a flat surface. Spread the meat filling evenly, filling a quarter of the wrap. See photos above.
- Arrange crab sticks/surimi at the middle of the meat lengthwise. Wrap like you would a sushi. Cut into 8 pieces each roll.
- Steam for 30-45 minutes or until meat is cooked.
- While waiting, prepare the dipping sauce. In a small pan over medium heat, add oil and garlic. Cook garlic, stirring often, until browned and crisp.
- Combine the other ingredients in a bowl.
- You may serve them separately, topping the Japanese Siomai with fried garlic and then the sauce or you may also add the sauce to the pot of browned garlic and let it cook for another minute.