Try this delicious recipe for Gnocchi in creamy Gorgonzola sauce with ham and mushrooms for a quick and easy but amazingly good meal! a
Just writing this post makes me hungry! But as promised from my previous post, so here it is!
My very own version of D’ouro’s Gnocchi Della Casa or simply Gnocchi in creamy Gorgonzola with ham and mushrooms.
I love Gorgonzola or any blue cheese for that matter! I know it is not for everyone but if you are into blue cheese then you definitely have to try this recipe.
It was love at first bite for me. It was just really a bite (or a mouthful) because it was Armin’s food, he ordered it on an impromptu lunch date last Monday. I had Pesto pasta (one of my fave pasta) but it turned out too plain for me once I had a taste of his gnocchi with Gorgonzola sauce.
It was really fun making my own gnocchi but it is even better making (and eating) this dish. It was so easy and requires really less ingredients that is why it has now become my current favorite pasta recipe.
Related: Homemade Gnocchi made easy.
So if gnocchi is Italian and Gorgonzola is an Italian blue cheese, this dish then is 100% Italian (?!), only it was made by a Filipina (me) so not so 100% then but who cares. I am pretty sure you can sub the Gorgonzola with other kinds of blue cheese. You may also want to add more or less of Gorgonzola in this recipe depending on how strong you like it to be. However, I would suggest buying the stronger one over the mild (dolce), that way a little can already go a long way especially since blue cheese can be a bit more expensive.
Gnocchi in creamy Gorgonzola sauce with Ham and Mushroom
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion - - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - - minced
- 5 large fresh champignon mushrooms - - sliced thinly
- 4 ounces cooked ham - - cut into squares
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola cheese
- 7 fluid ounces all-purpose cream - or heavy cream
- dash of salt
- 4 cups gnocchi
- Heat oil in large skillet or pan over medium heat. Saute garlic and onion in oil until tender.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for about 3 minutes or until limp. Stir in the cooked ham and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and bring to a boil. Add the cheese and stir until it melts. Lower the heat to low and let it simmer for 5 minutes or until it gets thicker.
- In the meantime, boil water with salt in a large pot to cook the gnocchi. Once the gnocchi is done, add them directly into the sauce in the skillet. Cook the gnocchi in the sauce for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve directly after cooking.