It is a happy new year indeed, I am back in my homeland, Philippines, for the whole month, courtesy of my sweet and loving honey! Now, first things first, I made a list of all the food that I craved for so much and also of all the restaurants and fast foods that I missed the past year and there’s a lot of them. I gave my mama my wish list and went with my parents yesterday morning to our local market to buy what we need. We were already a bit late since market starts really early and so do the market-goers, but we were lucky that we were still able to get hold of some fiddlehead ferns or ‘pako’ as we call them locally, as they were the last bunch left.
Fiddlehead fern Salad (Ensaladang Pako)
- 2 cups fiddlehead fern
- 3 medium tomatoes - - sliced thinly
- 1 large onion - - sliced thinly
- 2 salted egg - - cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Dissolve sugar in vinegar and set aside.
- In a big bowl, mix the fern, tomatoes and onions.
- Pour in vinegar mixture and toss until well mixed.
- Add the salted eggs and toss one last time.
Regular boiled eggs instead of salted eggs may be used.