Try this restaurant-worthy all-in-one dish, Chicken Chow Mein! Deliciously flavorful and so easy to make!
Chow Mein, the classic stir-fried egg noodles, is definitely one of the most popular Chinese dishes in and outside China. This chicken Chow Mein recipe is actually inspired by Marc's from No Recipes. I changed some of the ingredients like adding hoisin sauce and omitting the potato starch and Shaoxing wine. The truth is I do not have both so I thought I would improvise.
It turned out really well actually, but that is not surprising since I often use hoisin sauce for marinating and seasoning meat or vegetables.
I followed his advice to use chicken thighs but forgot to remove the skin. No biggie but if you are more health conscious then go skinless. However, if you don't want to remove the skin, at least remove the fatty parts. These are only good if fried to a crisp (if eaten in moderation) but turn chewy otherwise.
We invited some friends over last week and this is what I served for lunch with some Filipino Spring Rolls. Yes, exactly this one in the pictures. I cooked it a few hours earlier, took these photos, cover the skillet with the lid and put it in the oven and kept it warm at 50°C until it was time to serve. The resting time actually did it good as it gave the flavors time to set in and blend better. Just give it a good toss before serving.
Chicken Chow Mein
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic - - minced
- 10 ounces Chow Mein noodles - (Chinese egg noodles) - (uncooked)
- 1 big carrot - - julienned
- 2 stalks green onions - - cut into halves and then into 2 inch long slices
- 1 bunch Pak choi - - cut diagonally (1-2cm thick)
- In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the chicken marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles in water as per package instructions but reduce cooking time by 1 minute. Transfer to a colander and rinse the noodles with cold water to avoid from cooking further and sticking together. Drain well and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the sauce.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the marinated chicken by spreading them in one layer and cooking each side for 3 minutes or until golden. Remove chicken from oil and set aside.
- In the same wok with oil, add the garlic and cook for a minute or until limp. Turn heat to high and add the noodles and carrots. Stir fry for a minute or two until carrots starts to become tender-crisp.
- Pour in the sauce and toss to coat noodles. Add the pak choi, green onions, and the chicken. Mix and cook for another minute.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve.