This Cheesy Potato Casserole is so delicious and a sure way to please your crowd. Scalloped potatoes smothered in creamy sauce and lots of cheddar cheese. With caramelized onions to top it all!
I made this wonderful side dish to go with my crispy fried breaded pork chops. They do make a perfect match.
No need for gravy because this cheesy potato is creamy enough for both. But what I really like about it is the natural sweetness that the caramelized onions add to the dish.
The idea of adding caramelized onions came from Armin's favorite Swäbian dish, the Kässpätzle.
He misses it so much and I promised to make it for him soon. But for the meantime, I thought of incorporating a part of it to this easier potato side dish. And it worked...it was so good it was almost gone before the main dish was ready.
What kind of Potato to use for potato casserole
Depends really what you aim for. If you want your cheesy potato casserole to have soft, mealy and fluffy potatoes, then get the starchy variety like russets. But they do not really hold their shape well once cooked so you can shorten or skip the pre-boiling part and just bake them a little longer.
Go for the low-starch or waxy potatoes like Yukon if you want to have a firmer texture with a little bite and that will keep their shape even after pre-boiling and cutting.
How to make Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Preboil potatoes and cut into thin slices.
- Mix cream of chicken, sour cream and cheddar cheese and toss with potatoes.
- Transfer to a baking dish. Cover with foil and bake.
- Add more cheddar cheese and bake uncovered.
- Spread caramelized onions over the cheesy potatoes.
Other cheesy recipes to enjoy!
Cheesy Potato Casserole
- 4 medium potatoes - - peeled
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 can (10.5oz) cream of chicken
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 stick butter
- 4 big onions - - coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Place potatoes in a pot and pour enough water to cover the surface. Add 1 Tablespoon salt and boil for 15 minutes to soften them. Drain water. Once cold enough to handle, cut potatoes in very thin slices and place in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cream of chicken, sour cream and 1/4 cup cheddar cheese. Pour half of this mixture to the potatoes and toss to coat each slice completely.
- Arranged the potato slices in a baking dish. Pour the remaining mixture on top. Cover with foil and bake at 180°C for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are almost cooked through.
- Add the remaining cheddar cheese on top and bake uncovered for another 10-15 minutes or until cheese melts.
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add chopped onions and cook until caramelized, about 12-15 minutes.
- Top the cheese potato with the caramelized onions and serve.
- 1.Roasted Vegetable Trio - Beets, Parsnips & Carrots
- 2.Easy Creamy Potato Salad Recipe
- 3.Grilled Corn On The Cob
- 4.How to make Gravy
- 5.Apple Custard Pie with Cinnamon and Raisins
- 6.Pan Roasted Garlic Mushroom and Baby Potatoes
- 7.Baked Sweet Potato Cubes with Parmesan
- 8.Mixed Vegetables with Quail Eggs
- 9.Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 10.Sauteed Swiss Chard
- 11.Cheesy Potato Casserole
- 12.Honey Glazed Carrots