These moist and buttery cheese cupcakes will tickle your taste buds with a medley of sweet and salty flavors. So easy and very simple to make, perfect as merienda for kids and adults alike!
Cheese is one of the most unexpected and versatile ingredients there is in Filipino cuisine. Unlike the Westerners who enjoy their cheese with wine or in pasta, Filipinos use them as ingredients or toppings to both sweet and savory dishes. To name a few of these dishes are Beef Kaldereta, Chicken Afritada, Puto Cheese, Ube Pandesal with Cheese, and the Filipino Fruit Salad.
Today, we are going to make something sweet and savory at the same time --- the Cheese Cupcake. It is one of the popular school snacks (baon) that kids bring in the Philippines which are usually packed individually and are commercially sold in supermarkets or sari-sari stores.
What is Cheese Cupcake?
This Filipino cheese cupcake recipe is not your typical cupcake with frostings and such. Sweet, soft, and moist crumb with a lovely contrast of a crisp, golden-brown crust of salty cheese topping. It is made with basic ingredients like flour, butter, eggs, condensed milk, and of course--CHEESE. The combination of flavors in this cheese cupcake recipe is just absolutely delicious!
Cheese cupcakes are classic bakery staples in the Philippines and are very popular as merienda or midday snacks partnered with a cup of coffee or a tall glass of juice.
Either a filling breakfast for on-the-go adults or a midday snack for your little ones, these cheese cupcakes will surely be a hit to everyone!
Unsalted Butter - This gives the cupcake that buttery goodness. If you want to use salted butter, you can just omit the salt from the recipe.
Granulated Sugar - you may also use caster sugar.
Eggs - Make sure that they are at room temperature before using them.
Condensed Milk -used to sweeten the cupcake and add a creamy-milky texture.
Cake Flour - gives the cupcake more tender and fluffier crumbs. If unavailable, you may use all-purpose flour as an alternative.
Salt - enhances the flavors of the ingredients and gives a nice contrast to the sweetness of the cupcake, like the cheese.
Vanilla Extract - enhances and deepens the flavors. If you do not have vanilla extract on hand, you may leave it out.
Baking powder was used as the leavening agent for this recipe.
Cheese We used processed cheddar cheese but you may also use other kinds of cheese like Gouda, or Monterey Jack. For a more intense cheese flavor, you may use sharp cheddar.
Tips in making Cheese Cupcakes
- Make sure that the butter is softened to easily cream with sugar.
- Do not overmix the batter or your cupcakes will be dry and dense. Gently fold in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just moistened with no traces of flour left.
- For even cupcake sizes, use a measuring cup or ice cream scoop.
- If you do not have a cupcake liner, you can either use an aluminum foil or parchment paper to line the cupcake/muffin mold.
- For easy peeling of the liners from the cupcake, spray muffin pan lined with liners with non-stick baking spray.
- Dark baking pans absorb and radiate more heat making your baked goods a bit more brown at the bottom. While light baking pans absorb less heat and reflect it making your baked goods to cook more evenly and doesn't promote much browning at the bottom.
How to Serve and Store
Cheese Cupcakes may be enjoyed as breakfast or merienda with your favorite hot drink. These also make a great "baon" for your kids.
Make sure the cupcakes are completely cool before storing.
Store cupcakes in an airtight container or cover them with plastic film or foil to prevent them from drying out. Place in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 2 months.
Reheat in the microwave on high for about 20-30 seconds.
Cheese Cupcake Recipe
- Line your cupcake/muffin molds with liners. Set aside.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, ⅓ cup granulated sugarIn a large bowl, cream butter and sugar using an electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes.
- 2 medium eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 can condensed milkAdd the eggs one at a time, beating several times every addition. Add the vanilla extract and sweetened condensed milk and beat just a few times to incorporate.
- 1 ½ cups cake flour, ¼ teaspoon salt, 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder, 1 cup grated/shredded cheddar cheeseSift the cake flour, salt and baking powder in a separate bowl. Add the grated cheese and mix.
- Start to preheat the oven at 180C/360F.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold just to moisten then add the rest and fold until well combined.
- grated cheeseFill each liner with the batter almost full, leaving 1 cm space at the brim. Top them with more grated cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C/360F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to slightly cool in the pan.
- Transfer cupcakes on a wire rack to completely cool before serving.