Try this easy and simple recipe for Cashew Caramel Bars that are loaded with cashew nuts. Inspired by Max’s caramel bars.
I got a request from a follower on my Facebook Page for a recipe for caramel bars. But not just any caramel bars, she was asking for something much more specific. She wanted the one from Max’s Restaurant.
I tried some recipes online but in the end, I came up with my own. How bad though that I cannot make the actual comparison because, of course, we do not have Max’s in Germany. Instead, I just have to compare it to a memory of those delicious caramel bars.
As you can see from the photos, my cashew caramel bars were a bit crumbly as compared to Max’s. But this could be blamed for my lack of patience. I did another batch earlier that has a finer texture and cuts perfectly. The difference is that those batch were chilled in the freezer for some minutes before cutting and these ones were not. As these caramel bars are chewy, I would recommend doing this step before cutting to get a nice clean cut.
I applied the same procedure that I usually use to make my Chocolate Cashew Toffee Bars because I like its chewy texture and the caramel top finish it produces.
Cashew Caramel Bars
- Line a square (8x8") pan with parchment paper and set aside. Preheat oven at 180°C/350°F.
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, powdered milk, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add butter and cut into the flour mixture until small crumbs form.
- Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix using a fork or spatula until well combined. It will form a sticky dough.
- Grease the lined pan with oil or butter. Transfer the dough into the pan and spread evenly.
- Place the pan on middle rack and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven poke holes with a fork. Pour the condensed milk evenly on top and sprinkle with chopped cashew nuts. Bake for another 10 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool down a bit then chill in the freezer for 10-15 minutes before cutting into bars.
- Use a sharp knife and cut into desired shape and size.