Get this super easy 2-in-1 Puff Pastry Sticks recipe that is perfect for snacks or appetizers.
I got the idea for this recipe when I attended a dear friend, Tami’s birthday party. She served the bacon and cheese sticks version of it as a finger food. Armin and I loved it so much and I thought it was a brilliant idea for the blog. Simple, easy and very tasty!
Since I made some jars of basil pesto from the newly harvested basils from our garden, I thought it would be a nice alternative or addition, so you can serve both meat lovers and vegetarian/vegan friends in just one prep.
This batch, I made for my friend, Hazel’s birthday. It is common here in Germany to invite friends and relatives for ‘Kaffee und Kuchen’ (coffee and cake) for special occasions. It is also a usual practice for guests to bring food, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to bring this recipe to a test. Ok, it was also because I do not have the time to make a cake and I already packed most of my baking stuff in preparation to move. I also thought that since most would bring cakes and sweets, I should bring something savory.
You definitely don’t need to break a sweat to make this delectable savory treat. I made them in the morning and it only took me some minutes to prepare these Puff Pastry Sticks. I used three sheets of puff pastry and I was able to make at least 20 sticks from each. It was a hit at Hazel’s tea party as it stayed firm and crunchy even after some hours.
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 25 grams smoked bacon/ham bits
- ½ cup grated cheese
- 2-3 Tablespoon basil pesto (get recipe here)
- 1 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- fresh ground pepper- optional
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Cut pastry sheet, first lengthwise then crosswise creating 20-24 smaller pieces.
- Fill the other half with smoked bacon and cheese. Press the bacon and cheese firmly into the puff pastry dough.
- Spread basil pesto sauce on the other half of the sheet and sprinkle with grated parmesan.
- Add some freshly ground black pepper if desired.
- Twist each cut 3-4 times. Transfer each twisted pastry to the prepared baking sheet. Bake on the middle rack for 15-20 minutes or until golden and crisp. Let the sticks cool down a bit and remove from the baking sheet. Transfer to bread basket or serving dish.
You might also like these:
Quick & Easy Vegetable Chow Fun
Try this no-meat, quick and easy, stir-fry Chow Fun! You will definitely love how simple yet flavorful it is!Just got back from a long-month vacation with my parents who came ...read more
Try Champorado for breakfast. A Filipino sweet porridge made from cocoa and glutinous rice served with evaporated milk. Champorado is a popular breakfast among Filipinos. If this rich chocolatey rice porridge ...read more
Mongolian Beef Easy Recipe
This is a quick and easy Mongolian Beef recipe where beef is first stir-fried and then the thickened sauce is added later. All done under 20 minutes. My Mama used ...read more
Olive Wood Utensil Set, eCookbook & Printable recipe cards