Share on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on TumblrShare on StumbleUponDigg thisShare on YummlyShare on RedditEmail this to someone

Try this quick and simple Maja Blanca recipe for a creamy, soft and light Filipino coconut pudding made from coconut milk, milk, sweetener, and corn kernel.
maja blancaMaja Blanca is one of my personal favorite Filipino desserts.  What I like best about it is the texture; soft and light. It is basically a combination of coconut milk, milk, cornstarch and sweetener. You may add corn kernels to giv some contrast. Some uses sugar used as sweetener but I opted to use sweetened condensed milk to make it creamier.

The original Maja Blanca is topped with ‘latik’- that is what coconut milk becomes when simmered under medium fire for some time. This process will give you coconut oil and some brown solids, or ‘latik’ as we call it, which is common toppings for rice cakes and other Filipino desserts. Since I was pressed for time when I made this Maja Blanca for my friends’ visit and didn’t have time to make ‘latik’, what I did was, I roasted some dried coconut flakes in a pan until golden browned and sprinkled them on top of my Maja Blanca. I missed the latik but this sub is really good as well. Good thing they can be found easily here in German supermarkets so is the coconut milk in can and other ingredients needed to make this delicious dessert.   tibok-tibok

4.8 from 5 reviews
Maja Blanca (Coconut Milk Pudding with corn)
Author:
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 9-12 squares

Ingredients
  • 1 can (400ml) coconut milk
  • 1½ cup evaporated or fresh milk
  • 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • ¾ cup cornstarch dissolved in ¾ cup milk
  • ½ cup corn kernel, drained
  • ½ cup dessicated coconut
Instructions
  1. Grease a (21x21cm) square pan with butter. Set aside.
  2. Combine coconut milk, milk and condensed milk in a pot and bring to boil over medium heat while stirring occasionally.
  3. Add the corn kernel. Pour in the cornstarch mixture and stir constantly and quickly until the texture turns into paste-like consistency. Remove from heat and transfer to greased pan immediately. Gently tap the pan on the kitchen counter a couple of times to get rid of trapped bubbles and even out surface with spatula or spoon. Let the Maja Blanca settle and cool down.
  4. Roast the coconut flakes in a pan over low fire until browned. Stir constantly to avoid burning them. Set aside.
  5. Sprinkle top with roasted coconut flakes.

Written by Bebs

Bebs here! I love to cook and try new things and DIY projects! And although I think of myself as a homebody, I like seeing other places from time to time. If you are looking for a recipe and it ain't here, make a request and I will try my best to make it for you!

This article has 19 comments

1. Leah

Hi, I’m looking for the old-fashioned tibuk-tibuk. Do you have the recipe? Your recipe here is very nice but very rich. The tibuk-tibuk is almost like gelatin, simple and very refreshing. I know you are from Pampanga so you probably know what I’m talking about. Thanks in advance. You can email me directly.

Hi Leah, Yeah I know what you mean. Tibuk-tibuk or Tibok-tibok is the Kapampangan version and it is made from carabao’s milk. It is firmer or like you said gelatin-like. I love Maja Blanca but I prefer Tibok-tibok over it anytime. We will be moving to Philippines very soon, to my hometowm, so I will put this in my list for now when I can get hold of carabao milk. But I will also look for a close alternative for those who cannot get carabao’s milk in their place…😜

2. Grace

Hi, what is the equivalent of 1 cup to grams and if liquid to ml? I’m in italy and we don’t use cups. I would love to try this…i never made a maja blanca before. Thanks.

Hi Grace, for liquids, 1 cup is usually 250ml. It is a bit tricky for dry ingredients because they weigh differently, but I would say 1 cup is 16 Tablespoon. Hope that works for you. 🙂

3. Bernadette

Hello po. I made your maja recipe last nite with the help of my 4 year old boy. We all love it. It is the best maja blanca that i ever made. Thank you very much. And thanks for sharing your recipes.

Hi Bernadette, glad that you liked it! I think it is nice that you are letting your son help out in the kitchen at an early age. Help builds character if you ask me and maybe he will develop a passion for cooking later on! 🙂

4. Avigayle Scoff

The maja turned out delicious! I didn’t know you can even opt out the sugar! I’m glad I tried your recipe. And my Jamaican husband loves it!

5. glenn doran

just printed some of your recipes and can’t wait to try them all. Hope everything comes perfect.wish me luck.

Hi Glenn, thanks and I do hope you like them and goodluck, not that you need it, I think. But just in case you have a questions just leave me a message and I would try to help anyway I can! 🙂

6. Cam

Can I dissolve the cornstarch in more evaporated milk, instead of fresh milk? Will it alter the taste or texture? Thanks

Hi Cam, sure you can or you can also just dissolve it in water as evaporated milk is already thicker and creamier than fresh milk but I see no problem with that. 🙂

7. jam

I made this for my birthday tomorrow . Turns out great! I used corn flour instead of cornstarch. It makes difference. My maja becomes softer than the last time I used cornstarch.

8. Viv

Hi. I have a question… for the 3/4 C milk used to dissolve the 3/4C cornstarch.. is that in addition to the 1 1/2 C of milk that you listed in the recipe? so total is 1-1/2C + 3/4C milk? Thanks!!

9. beth poppleton

Love it! Imiss this food trying to make it lets see i i goes.

10. Reply

Your blog is impressive, thanks to the quality of your recipes & other content. We would be glad if you would participate on Contestchef so that your quality recipes can contest with other such bloggers/ recipe creators and win accolades from various players in the global food industry.

Contestchef is a global forum for food/ recipe bloggers to showcase their skills to the world. This is a one of a kind concept and backed by food conglomerates around the world. Several recipe creators/bloggers are already contesting on Contestchef.
    Click to join Contestchef