Make your own homemade Spanish Sardines with this super easy recipe. Store them in jars to give to your friends or to sell. No pressure cooker needed.Another great find I got from my dear sister-in-law, ate Mia, on our last Paris trip was her Homemade Spanish Sardines.
Back home in the Philippines some years ago, canned Spanish-style sardines became big and everyone fell in love with this spicy sardines in oil and herbs. It was also one of my favorite ready to eat food and we would usually make sure we stock some cans at home for the times we want something easy to prepare but also good.
Now, I can make it exactly the way I like it! As spicy as I like it and with lots of olives and garlic.
I was only able to get frozen sardines but they are as good as the fresh ones. I am pretty sure you can also use other similar kinds of small fish like Anchovy, Herring or even Mackerel.
Other recipes require using a pressure cooker to make this recipe but slow cooking also works fine. It takes about 40 mins to an hour to cook on low heat uncovered. That is, to reduce the liquids to half and get the fish meat and small fish bones to become so tender without the fish breaking into pieces.
Cook some more and bottle them up! You can store these Spanish Sardines for later in jars or they can be a great giveaway ideas to friends and relatives. You can also make some bucks selling them. Make sure though that you sterilize your jars or bottles properly and that you follow the correct way of canning food.
You might also be interested in my Gourmet Tuyo recipe.
- 10-12 pieces fresh or frozen sardines
- 1 cup olives
- 5 big cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, cut into flower shapes
- 3 pieces bay leaves
- 10-12 pieces peppercorn
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes or 2 pieces spicy chili, chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- ½ Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 cup water (or more)
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- Cut off the heads and clean the sardines.
- At the bottom of a small pot, arrange some of the olives, carrots, bay leaf, peppercorn, and garlic. Lay 3-4 pieces of sardines on top. Repeat this layering until all sardines are used.
- Sprinkle the chili flakes and salt evenly over the sardines.
- Pour the olive oil and water over the sardines. Add more water to make sure that the sardines are submerged in the liquids.
- Bring it to boil over medium-low heat. Once it boils, add the vinegar. Let it cook for 45 mins to an hour or until the liquids are reduced to half and only the oil is left.
You might also like these:
Pad Thai Easy Recipe
Try this easy Pad Thai recipe. Made from simple ingredients. A complete meal in one!I've been wanting to make Pad Thai for a long time and I am not sure why ...read more
Quick & Easy Vegetable Chow Fun
Try this no-meat, quick and easy, stir-fry Chow Fun! You will definitely love how simple yet flavorful it is!Just got back from a long-month vacation with my parents who came ...read more
Get this easy and simple recipe for this yummy Chili Crab that has the perfect blend of sweet and spicy!I am in heaven! Yes! Crabs are one of the things ...read more