Get this easy and simple recipe for this yummy Chili Crab that has the perfect blend of sweet and spicy!I am in heaven! Yes! Crabs are one of the things that make me happy! What makes me more happy about this recipe is how surprisingly simple and easy it is to make.
I used blue crabs for this Chili Crab recipe but mangrove (mud) crabs would also be perfect.
It would be better if I could get fresh crabs instead of the frozen one that I was able to manage to get here in Germany. Back in my hometown Pampanga, it is a lot easier to get fresh big mangrove (mud) crabs. This is one of the things I look forward to every time we go to the Philippines. But (very) soon, I will be able to get my hands on those fresh, meaty, yummy crabs and all the other good stuff that I’ve been missing and craving for in the last five years that I’ve moved to Germany! 😋 🤗🤐
In buying fresh crabs, it could get frustrating and disappointing if you end up with ones that look good and solid outside but hollow or with so less flesh (and fat) inside especially since they are not that cheap at all. Years back, my best friend, Sharon, taught me a very important lesson in life! She taught me a simple and a more subtle way on how to get good meaty crabs! You can tell that a crab is meaty if when you pinch (thumb on top and index at the bottom) the (pointy) side of the top shell (carapace) it should feel full or hard to press.
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 big cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoon minced ginger
- ½ cup shallots, chopped (or a medium onion)
- 3 pieces of crabs, washed and each cut into 2
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup tomato ketchup
- ½ cup sweet chili sauce
- 3 Tablespoonfish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 Tablespoon water
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat oil in a skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Saute the garlic, ginger, and shallots.
- Add the crabs and 1 cup of water then cover and let it cook for 5 minutes or until the crab's shells turn red all around.
- Add the tomato ketchup, sweet chili sauce, and fish sauce. Stir well making sure that the crabs get covered with the sauces. Cook for another two minutes.
- Move the crab pieces on one side of the wok and pour the cornstarch mixture into the sauce and mix until the sauce thickens. Lastly, add the beaten egg into the sauce and stir quickly to prevent it from making lumps. Cover the crabs with the sauce and cook for another minute.
You might also like these:
Pad Thai Easy Recipe
Try this easy Pad Thai recipe. Made from simple ingredients. A complete meal in one!I've been wanting to make Pad Thai for a long time and I am not sure why ...read more
Homemade Spanish Sardines
Make your own homemade Spanish Sardines with this super easy recipe. Store them in jars to give to your friends or to sell. No pressure cooker needed.Another great find I ...read more
Gyoza Recipe with dipping sauce
You just have to try this super easy Gyoza recipe that includes a simple but flavorful dipping sauce. You will definitely love it!Gyoza is a popular Japanese dumpling. The filling ...read more