Arroz Caldo is a Filipino rice porridge or congee , made with glutinous or sticky rice and flavored with ginger and other spices. The main difference of Arroz Caldo from other rice porridge, like Goto or Lugaw, is that it uses chicken meat and sometimes chicken liver and hard-boiled egg. Although it is known to be a good comfort food for the sick especially during the rainy season, it is also usually served as breakfast because it is filling and nutritious.
- 2 Tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 Tablespoon ginger, peeled, julienned and crushed
- 1 kilo chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 2-3 Tablespoon fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1 cup glutinous rice, uncooked
- 6-7 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon safflower (optional)
- 3-4 hard boiled eggs (optional)
- 3-4 pieces chicken liver, preboiled (optional)
- fried minced garlic
- onion leeks, chopped
- kalamsi or lemon slices
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute garlic, onion and ginger in hot oil.
- Add in the chicken pieces and stir in fish sauce and ground pepper and let simmer in own juice until outer layer is slightly golden, turning occasionally to keep them from burning.
- Mix in the glutinous rice and cook for a 1-2 minutes. Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Cover pot to let the rice is cook faster while mixing now and then to prevent the rice from sticking at the bottom of the pot.
- Add the safflower, hard boiled eggs and liver and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Serve hot and top with fried garlic, leeks and a squeeze of kalamsi or lemon.
You might also like these:
Try this Sago't Gulaman drink. A Filipino sweet refreshment made from brown sugar syrup with tapioca pearls and almond jelly. This post is actually a bit overdue because I made this ...read more
Have a feast with this classic Filipino Menudo recipe. A tomato-based stew of pork meat and liver usually served at special occasions like Fiestas. May is the month for Flores de Mayo in ...read more
Lumpiang Togue (Mung Bean Sprouts Spring Rolls)
Try this Lumpiang Togue recipe for a scrumptious, easy and healthy spring rolls with mung bean sprouts and other veggies. It is known by many names. Other calls it Lumpiang prito ...read more